Welcome toCork Camogie

Slick Gailltír Prove too Strong for Spirited Éire Óg

A slick Gailltír of Waterford cruised to Munster glory when they competently disposed of a courageous and spirited Éire Óg when they met in the AIB Camogie Club Championships Munster Intermediate Final at Cashel on Sunday last.

Despite opening the scoring via Meadbh Ellen Desmond within a minute of the throw in Éire Óg found themselves grappling with an in form Gailltír attack where Annie Fitzgerald, Aoife Fitzgerald and player of the match Áine Lyng proved formidable notching up 2-06 from play between them.

A brace from Lyng and Aoife Fitzgerald in quick succession had Gailltír one clear by the fourth minute, however, it was to be eight minutes before another score was registered and it came from an Annie Fitzgerald long range free.  Despite enjoying extensive possession Gailltír were guilty of squandering scoring opportunities, however, Fitzgerald added two from play to see Gailltír four clear on 21. 

Éire Óg were battling hard in defense where Aileen Hennessy and Siobhan Hutchinson were to the fore in attempting to stifle the Gailltír attack.  However, despite their best efforts they were dealt a blow on 22 when Aoife Fitzgerald caught a Lyng free on the edge of the square to unleash an unstoppable shot past Rachel Murray and push Gailltír seven clear. 

Lyng split the posts from distance to open up an eight point lead before a long range Margaret O’Herlihy placed ball pulled one back for the Cork champions.    With Éire Óg mounting sporadic attacks through Isobel Sheehan, Desmond and O’Herlihy they struggled to make any inroads in the Gailltír defence and it was Gailltír who had the final say of the half when Clodagh Carroll fired over to see her side lead 1-07 to 0-02 at half time.

Gailltír paid no heed to the occasional showers, strong breeze and slippery underfoot conditions and extinguished any hopes of an Éire Óg resurgence when Annie Fitzgerald blasted to the net seven minutes after the restart.  Two O’Herlihy placed balls cut the deficit to nine, however a brace from Shauna Fitzgerald and Annie Fitzgerald (long range free) restored an 11 point advantage for the Waterford champions. 

Two further O’Herlihy placed balls either side of a Lyng point in the closing minutes of the game saw Éire Óg trail by 10 and despite the best efforts of Éire Óg it was a superior Gailltír side that took the Munster Intermediate title for the second year in a row on a scoreline of Éire Óg 0-06, Gailltír 2-10.


Éire Óg: R. Murray, K. McCarthy, A. Hennessy, F. Murphy, E. Quigley, S. Hutchinson (c), M. Gleeson, Á. Barry, I. Sheehan, E. Crowley, M. O’Herlihy, ME Desmond, G. Collins, A. O’Callaghan, G. Murphy.

Subs: A. Buckley for K. McCarthy (38), O. Meaney for G. Collins (44), N. Twomey for E. Crowley (44), C.Sheehan for G. Murphy (55).

Gailltír: C. Jackman, E. Mahony, M. Heffernan, C. Dunne, L. Sheridan, E. Roche, H. Flynn, K. Lynch, S. Fitzgerald, Á. Lyng, C. O’Sullivan, Annie Fitzgerald, E. Walsh, Aoife Fitzgerald, C. Carroll.

Subs: A. Corcoran for Aoife Fitzgerald (53), E. Flynn for E. Walsh (58), R. Flood for E. Mahony (58), E.Cullinane for H. Flynn (62), H. Hutchinson for C. Carroll (62).


Éire Óg: M. O’Herlihy 0-05 (0-04f, 0-0145), ME Desmond 0-01

 Gailltír:  Annie Fitzgerald 1-04 (0-02f), Aoife Fitzgerald 1-01, A. Lyng 0-03, S. Fitzgerald 0-01, C. Carroll 0-01

 Referee: Kevin O’Brien, Limerick

Comments are closed.