Welcome toCork Camogie

Late Ballincollig Rally Snatches Victory

Ballincollig left it late to snatch a victory when they registered three unanswered scores in the dying minutes of the SE Systems Cork Camogie Senior Championship Quarter Final that swung the lead in their favour and sent Ballygarvan crashing out of the championship at Castle Road on Saturday last.

Ballincollig momentarily held the lead in the 26th minute when Sam Coomey split the posts to see Collig lead 0-04 to 0-03, however, it was to be the 62nd minute before they hit the front again when Trish Buttimer pointed a placed ball that was to seal victory when the full time whistle sounded six minutes later.

Ballygarvan opened the scoring after five minutes with a Cliona O’Leary placed ball, however, four minutes later Ballincollig were on the scoreboard when Buttimer split the posts.  An on-form O’Leary pointed under pressure on 10 before Ashley Lovett struck over a tight angled effort to level proceedings on 13.  O’Leary and Lovett exchanged frees before Coomey fired over to give Ballincollig a slim lead on 26.

O’Leary pulled one back for Ballygarvan when she pointed a 50-metre free after the tenacious Micheala Buckley was fouled in added time to see the sides all square at the half way mark with 4 points each.

Ballygarvan took the lead for the fourth time when O’Leary pointed a 45-metre free shortly after the resumption, however, Lovett pulled one back when she fired over a placed ball on 35.  The South East side hit the front again when Ellen O’Regan set up Rebecca Murphy to point from close range, before once again Lovett levelled proceedings when she pointed on 37.

Catriona Keohane pushed Ballygarvan one clear on 40, however, it was to be eleven minutes before the next score was registered.  When it came it was after a period of play that witnessed Ballygarvan enjoy much possession and Keohane reaped the rewards when she found the net after Ballygarvan laid siege to the Ballincollig goal. 

However, in a stunning twist Ballygarvan relinquished their four point lead within a nine minute spell which began when substitute Orla McCarthy fired over on the run to cut the deficit to three.  Ballincollig held their nerve and when Hannah O’Leary delivered a long ball into the square substitute Elaine Casey was on hand to get a flick that ended in the net in the 61st minute before Buttimer pointed a late free in added time to give Ballincollig a one point victory 1-08 to 1-07 and a place in the final four.


Ballygarvan: S. Ahern, K. Dorney, E. Ryan, A. Keohane, L. Kennefick, S. Wynne, SJ Brady, E. O’Regan, A. Moynihan, M. Buckley, I. O’Regan, R. Crowley, C. Keohane, R. Murphy (c), C. O’Leary.

Subs: M. Moynihan for R. Crowley (HT).

Ballincollig: A. Hartnet, M. O’Leary, S. Keating, O. Keating, M. O’Donoghue, L. Weste, A. Cotter (c), S. Buckley, H. O’Leary, S. Coomey, L. Dorgan, D. Cronin, O. O’Leary, T. Buttimer, A. Lovett.

Subs: O. McCarthy for D. Cronin (44), E. Casey for A. Lovett (53).


Ballygarvan: C. Keohane 1-01, C. O’Leary 0-05 (0-03f, 0-0145), R. Murphy 0-01

Ballincollig: E. Casey 1-00, A. Lovett 0-04 (0-02f), T. Buttimer 0-02 (0-01f), S. Coomey 0-01, O. McCarthy 0-01


Referee: Cathal Egan

Comments are closed.