Welcome toCork Camogie

Glen & Barrs Have to do it all Again as a Thrilling Final Ended all Square After Extra Time

Glen Rovers and St. Finbarrs will have to do it all again as extra time failed to separate the sides when they served up a thrilling display that didn’t lack in passion, tenacity, skill and scoring in the Cork Camogie Senior League Final played at Castle Road on Wednesday evening last.

Both sides showed grit and determination in a pulsating game that provided supporters with an exceptional 80 minutes of non-stop action.  Given the nature of history and rivalry between two stalwart city clubs a blistering game culminating in a draw was quite possibly the fairest result given the intensity of the game.

Rachel Myers opened the scoring after 4 minutes when she fired over from a strong run and pass by Meabh Cahalane, before Aisling Wallace split the posts two minutes later to level.  On 7 St. Finbarrs were awarded a penalty when captain Eimear Ryan was fouled.  Ryan took the penalty, however, her low shot was saved on the line and cleared and the Glen survived an early test. 

A Glen brace in the space of two minutes courtesy of Wallace and Denise Luby after Lydia Cunningham set both up had the Glen two clear on 11.  The Barrs rallied and responded with three unanswered points from the consistent Keeva McCarthy, Myers and a McCarthy long range free to push them one clear on the quarter mark.

On 16 Luby tied the sides on 4 a-piece when she fired over a tight angled 20 metre free.  However, the impetus swung in favour of The Barrs when McCarthy made no mistake in firing past Lisa O’Riordan when she collected on the 20 and unleashed a blistering shot to the net.  The Glen responded within a minute via Emma Murphy when she split the posts from range to cut the deficit to two before a Luby placed ball 20 metres out and on the left wing saw them trailing by the slimmest on 21.

Four unanswered points in four minutes via a McCarthy 45 metre free, Ryan x 2 (one from a placed ball) and a Ciara Keating tight angled point saw the south siders open up a five point lead.  Luby had the final say of the opening half when she fired over under pressure to see Glen Rovers head to the dressing room trailing 0-07 to 1-08.

Within a minute of the restart the Glen had the sides all square on 1-08 a-piece.  Nora O’Riordan fired over a long range effort before Lauren Callanan and Luby linked up to set up Emma Murphy who wasn’t found wanting when she gave Eimear Hurley no chance in The Barrs goal.  The Barrs responded with a brace via McCarthy from distance and Ryan under pressure from a tight angle to see them hit the front for the fourth time. 

Two Luby frees either side of a Ryan effort had the Barrs lead down to the slimmest on 42 before Luby levelled it when she fired over a 20 metre free.  Cunningham pushed Glen Rovers one clear when O’Riordan set her up with a pass to fire over from long range, before a Ryan placed ball cancelled it out and tied the sides 1-12 a-piece with 48 on the clock.

It was to be five minutes before the next score was registered and it came from a Ryan 20 metre free to see the Barrs shade it 1-13 to 1-12 on 53.  Callanan and McCarthy exchanged points before Luby once again had the final say when she pointed a 45 metre free deep in injury time to tie up the sides on 1-14 a-side and send the game to extra time.

With a blistering 60 minutes behind them both sides faced into extra time and it was St. Finbarrs who hit a purple patch from the get go when McCarthy pointed a long range free and Ryan goaled with a handpass effort to see The Barrs surge forward 2-15 to 1-14.  Murphy responded for the Glen on the cusp of the break when she registered their only score of the half when she fired over from close range.

On the turnaround it was The Barrs who held the lead 2-15 to 1-15.  Leanne O’Sullivan who had been operating at centre back and now being moved forward made a strong run to fire over the first of three Glen points of the half.  With free taker Luby substituted it was O’Sullivan who stepped up for the north siders to slot over a 45 metre placed ball and cut the deficit to just one and 74 played.  With The Barrs being held scoreless for the half The Glen pushed forwarded and were rewarded when Murphy pointed in the first minute of added time to see the sides level Glen Rovers 1-18, St. Finbarrs 2-15 after a superb hard fought game leaving both sides with it all to do again.


Glen Rovers: L. O’Riordan, S. Fahy (c), K. Falvey, K. Buckley, K. O’Connell, L. O’Sullivan, M. Hyde, L. Cunningham, L. Callanan, E. Murphy, N. O’Brien, N. O’Riordan, J. Cronin, D. Luby, A. Wallace.

Subs: S. Hayes for J. Cronin (46), C. Martin for N. O’Brien (75), S. Brickley for D. Luby (76).

St. Finbarrs: E. Hurley, S. Punch, A. Egan, A. O’ Neill, C. Ryan, L. O’Connell, M. Cahalane, A. Shannon, K. McCarthy, E. Olden, R. Myers, E. Crowley, C. Keating, E. Ryan (c), E. Browne Ryan.

Subs: R. Finn for E. Olden (43), A. Shannon for G. Cahalane (67). 


Glen Rovers: E. Murphy 1-03, D. Luby 0-08 (0-05f, 0-0145), A. Wallace 0-02, L. O’Sullivan 0-02 (0-0145), L. Callanan 0-01, L. Cunningham 0-01, N. O’Riordan 0-01

St. Finbarrs: K. McCarthy 1-06 (0-02f, 0-0145), E. Ryan 1-06 (0-03f), R. Myers 0-02, C. Keating 0-01

Referee:     Cathal MacAllistair


Pics Credit: Trevor Patchett

Comments are closed.