Welcome toCork Camogie

Newcestown second half resurgence sees them crowned Intermediate Champions

The SE Systems Cork Camogie Intermediate Championship Final served up a thrilling encounter between local rivals Enniskeane and Newcestown in front of a large attendance in Brinny on Saturday last. 

It was Newcestown who enjoyed most of the possession in the opening quarter, however, they failed to convert and the Enniskeane defence did well to stem the strong surges of attack posed by Newcestown.  Both teams took time to settle and it was seven minutes before the scoreboard registered the opening score through a Suzanne Deasy 55 metre placed ball.  Danielle Carroll pointed on 11 with a well worked point when Orla Cronin and Sinead Curtin linked up in defence to find Carroll up front to level proceedings.  Five minutes later another Curtin clearance found Siobhan O’Driscoll who pointed to put Enniskeane one clear. 

On 18 a testing shot from Evelyn Crowley 40 metres out had Enniskeane goalkeeper Caroline O’Donovan under pressure when she mishandled and dropped the sliotar on the line.  In the scramble that ensued Newcestown won a 20 metre free and Colleen Twomey duly pointed to draw the sides level for the second time. 

With the game ebbing and flowing out field and scores hard to come by Enniskeane turned things on their head in a seven minute spell that saw them haul three goals between the 21st and 28th minutes.  Megan O’Regan goaled on 21 when she was on hand to finish to the net after a delivery from Sinead Hurley was won by Orla Coughlan and put across the square for O’Regan to connect with and finish to the net.  Two minutes later a Laura Mannix delivery was collected by Coughlan who showed the defence a clean pair of heels to blast past Orla Dineen in the Newcestown goal to put Enniskeane six clear. 

Newcestown mustered a response three minutes later when Desmond picked off a fine tight angled effort, however Enniskeane were on the crest of a wave with goal scoring and rattled the net for the third time on 28 through Hurley.  It was O’Regan on the wing who spotted Hurley unmarked in the middle and 30 metres from goal and when she took possession of the pass made no mistake in taking on the defence and finishing to the net to open up an eight point lead, 3-02 to 0-03. 

Twomey with a solid performance on free taking duty pulled one back with a 45 metre placed ball before Tara Sheehan cancelled it out with a fine point on the run.  A Newcestown brace just before the short whistle through Maria Keneally and Colette Desmond saw them head to the dressing room trailing on a scoreline of Enniskeane 3-03, Newcestown 0-06.

Newcestown racked up 1-03 without reply within three minutes of the restart the first through newly introduced Therese McCarthy who cut the deficit to five.  The deficit could have been cut to just two a minute later only for a Desmond goal bound shot came back off the upright and Enniskeane were left off the hook.  However, Newcestown were showing a resurgence and when Kenneally pointed from a Deasy handpass the lead was cut to just four before Ciara O’Sullivan was on hand a minute later to scrape the ball over the line following a goalmouth scramble. 

With the lead cut to the slimmest and 13 minutes remaining Twomey drew the sides level for the third time when she pointed a 20m free.  Desmond picked off a fine score before Carroll cancelled it out a minute later and registered Enniskeanes only score of the half on 39 and with it tied the sides for the fourth time.  Eight minutes from time Twomey picked off a sweet point from a Kenneally handpass to put Newcestown ahead by the slimmest. 

A Twomey 35 metre free gave Newcestown a precarious two point lead with six remaining, however, she made it a three point lead when she pointed a tight angled 35 metre free on 60 and it was enough for Newcestown to hold out and take the SE Systems Cork Camogie Intermediate Championship title on a scoreline of Enniskeane 3-04, Newcestown 1-13.



Enniskeane: C. O’Donovan, K. O’Shea, C. Nyhan, K. Scannell, S. Curtin, C. O’Donovan, A. O’Driscoll, D. Carroll, L. Mannix, M. O’Regan, O. Coughlan (capt.), O. Cronin, K. Hennessy, S. O’Driscoll, S. Hurley.

Subs: T. Sheehan for K. Hennessy (21), R. Scannell for K. O’Shea (HT), A. Crowley for R. Scannell (54).

Newcestown: O. Dinneen, M. McSweeney, F. Deasy (capt.), A. Crowley, M. Lynch, S. Deasy, A. O’ Donovan, E. Crowley, Z. Griffen, H. O Mahony, M. Keneally, M. O’Donovan, C. Desmond, C. Twomey, C. O’Sullivan.

Subs: T. McCarthy for H. O’Mahony (HT), R. Desmond for A. Crowley (42).


Enniskeane: M.O’Regan 1-00, O. Coughlan 1-00, S. Hurley 1-00, D. Carroll 0-02, T. Sheehan 0-01, S. O’Driscoll 0-01.

Newcestown: C. O’Sullivan 1-00, C. Twomey 0-06 (0-04f, 0-0145), C. Desmond 0-03, M. Kenneally 0-02, T. McCarthy 0-01, S. Deasy 0-01 (0-01f)

Referee:          Cathal Egan, Glen Rovers


Pics: Jerry O’Mahony

Comments are closed.