Welcome toCork Camogie

Defending Champions Inniscarra Pushed all the Way by Gutsy Cloughduv

Defending champions Inniscarra were pushed all the way by a tenacious and gutsy Cloughduv in the SE Systems Cork Camogie Senior Championship first round fixture played at Castle Road on Friday last.

The dying minutes of the game proved thrilling when Aoife Murray came forward from the Cloughduv goal to unleash two 20 metre frees goalward in an effort to take the spoils.  However, her efforts yielded a point that grazed over the crossbar and witnessed Inniscarra hold on and move onto Round 3 with Cloughduv resigned to the Backdoor/Round 2 route for their 2018 Championship campaign.

Inside the opening three minutes Inniscarra had two on the board courtesy of Niamh McCarthy and Ellen Murphy who proved lively top of the left by notching up four from play over the hour.

Lisa Lynch and Niamh Dilworth exchanged frees to see Inniscarra lead 3 points to 1 after seven minutes.  On 9 an Erin Looney shot was touched over by the experienced Murray and the defending champions opened up a three point lead.

It was to be 10 minutes before the next score was registered and it came in a Cloughduv unanswered brace via Anne Marie Ryan and Suzanne Bateman who between them cut the deficit to just one on 18.

As champions do, Inniscarra responded and a fine Murphy effort pushed Inniscarra two clear on 21 before Lynch and Dilworth placed balls in the closing four minutes of the half preserved parity Cloughduv 0-04, Inniscarra 0-06 which was maintained to the half way mark.

A strong Ryan run on the right wing was finished with a point and cut the Champions lead to one within moments of the restart.  Two Dilworth frees either side of a Lynch long range effort witnessed Inniscarra hold a two point lead once again 0-08 to Cloughduvs 0-06.

Three unanswered points by the Champions in the space of five minutes pushed them five clear to open up a generous lead for the first time in the game.  Aileen Sheehan fired over the first after a strong run followed by two Murphy well taken points.  Noteworthily this was to be the culmination of the Inniscarra scoring for the afternoon with 19 minutes of play remaining.

Cloughduv continued in their tenacious form and with Murray proving her experience between the posts was quick off her line to quash any attempts on goal.  Furthermore, after a long range Lynch free to see Cloughduv trail by four on 56 it was Murray who was called upon on 57 to take a 20 metre free.  Murray unleashed a rasper that shaded over the crossbar to cut the deficit to just three.

Dilworth had a chance to put four between the sides on 59, however she put a 45 metre free just wide of the target.  But once again it was Murray who was called upon deep in injury time to take a 20 metre free and once again she unleashed a bullet of a shot.  On this occasion the shot was blocked by the heavy line of defence and in the ensuing scramble Inniscarra were awarded a free out and with it held on for the final whistle to sound the continuation of the defense of their title via Round 3 on a scoreline of Cloughduv 0-08, Inniscarra 0-11.



Cloughduv: A. Murray, A. Buckley, N. McCarthy, J. Bateman, A. Corkery, B. Corkery, M. Twomey, C. Hughes, M. Corkery (c), R. Hurley, N. O’Leary, A. Barry-Murphy, AM Ryan, L. Lynch, S. Bateman.

Subs: M. Kelleher for M. Twomey (43), N. Dennehy for S. Bateman (48).

Inniscarra: S. Walsh, M. Buckley, C. Looney, R. Quigley, R. O’Mahony, R. Buckley, A. Kavanagh, A. Sheehan, K. O’Mahony, R. Keane, N. Dilworth, E. Looney, T. McCarthy (c), N. McCarthy, E. Murphy.

Subs: None.


Cloughduv: L. Lynch 0-04 (0-04f), AM Ryan 0-02, S. Bateman 0-01, A. Murray 0-01 (0-01f).

Inniscarra: E. Murphy 0-04, N. Dilworth 0-04 (0-03f, 0-0145), N. McCarthy 0-01, E. Looney 0-01, A. Sheehan 0-01.

Referee:     Andy Larkin


Pic Credit: Trevor Patchett



Comments are closed.