Welcome toCork Camogie

Cork Prove Far Too Strong For Antrim

Cork raced into a commanding lead in their second fixture of the Littlewoods Ireland Camogie Leagues Division 2 game played at a cold and crisp Castle Road on Saturday last.  Aided by the strong breeze Cork dominated the opening thirty minutes scoring with ease and notching up 1-13 of which 1-09 came from open play. 

On 16 minutes Caroline Sugrue goaled after Noleen Cosgrove did well to deny her initial handpass goal attempt only for Sugrue to kick the ensuing save to the back of the net and see Cork hold an authoritative lead of 1-09 with Antrim yet to penetrate the Cork defense and register a score. 

Rachel O’Shea opened the scoring inside the first minute before McCarthy fired over a 30 metre placed ball a minute later.  Sugrue and McCarthy split the posts before Finola Neville operating at centre back made a surging run forward to point on 4 minutes.  Three minutes later Neville linked up well with O’Shea who fired over to see Cork 0-06 to the good.  On eight, McCarthy pointed a 20 metre free after a foul on Rachel O’Callaghan before Neville struck again with a point from range.  McCarthy picked off a point on 13 before Sugrue goaled on 16 to see Cork 1-09 ahead.  A brace from McCarthy the latter a 20 metre free saw the scoreboard read Cork 1-11 on 20.  On 23 Amy Lee was called upon between the Cork posts, however, she did enough to put off Orla O’Hara when she came off her line to clear.  A Katie McAleese 35 metre free was dealt with by Lee when McAleeses’ shot dipped and Lee caught the sliotar on the line and cleared. 

At the other end Cork won a 45 metre free which McCarthy duly converted before Maeve McCarthy registered her first point of the game on 29 to see Cork head to the dressing rooms 1-13 to 0-00.

The second half continued in the same vein, however, Antrim were able to muster some attacks as they were aided by the strong breeze.  However, it was Cork who pointed first upon the resumption with a McCarthy 20 metre free.  On 40 Antrim struck for their opening score and it came from a Lucia McNaughton placed ball on 30 metres.  Two minutes later McAleese fired over a 30 metre free and again on 50 she registered Antrim’s third score through a 30 metre placed ball.  McCarthy fired over either side of a Sugrue point to see Cork 1-17 to 0-03 and 58 on the clock.  Armstrong and McAleese pointed in the dying moments to close out the game and see Cork take the points on a 1-17 to 0-05 scoreline.


Cork: A. Lee Na Piarsaigh, L. Callanan Glen Rovers, S. Harrington Fr. O’Neills (c), R. Killeen Ballyhea, S. Hutchinson Éire Óg, M. Lynch Newcestown, K. McCarthy Aghabullogue, A. Kavanagh Inniscarra, F. Neville St. Catherines, K. Cullinane Fr. O’Neills, M. McCarthy Sarsfields, R. O’Shea Carrigaline, K. McCarthy St. Finbarrs, R. O’Callaghan St. Catherines, C. Sugrue Ballinascarthy

Subs: K. Barry Sarsfields for M. McCarthy (HT), S. Buckley Ballincollig for R. O’Shea (40).


Antrim: N. Cosgrove, C. Donnelly, K. Donnelly, C. Patterson, N. McQuillan, A. McManus, A. Mulholland, M. Lynn, E. Costello, A. Donnelly, K. McAleese (c), L. McNaughton, O. O’Hara, C. McAleenan, S.


Subs: None 


Cork: C. Sugrue 1-02, K. McCarthy 0-10 (0-05f, 0-0145), R. O’Shea 0-02, F. Neville 0-02, M. McCarthy 0-01

Antrim: K. McAleese 0-03 (0-02f), L. McNaughton 0-01 (0-01f), S. Armstrong 0-01

Referee:            Alan Doheny, Laois


Pics Credit: Trevor Patchett


Pics Credit: Colbert O’Sullivan

Comments are closed.