Welcome toCork Camogie

Cork in Cruise Control as They Account for Dublin with Clinical Composure

Cork showed their prowess when they accounted for a tenacious and persevering Dublin side in the Liberty Insurance All Ireland Senior Camogie Championship fixture played at Páirc Uí Rinn on Sunday last.

It was the home side who launched the first attack which returned a fine Katrina Mackey score when she pointed on the run inside the opening minute.

Two minutes later and the Dublin defence were put to the pin of their collar after a great build up ended with Amy O’Connor unleashing a shot on target that initially beat Faye McCarthy but was swept off the line by Hannah Hegarty and Dublin survived, albeit slightly precariously.

An unanswered Cork brace from O’Connor and a trade make long range Gemma O’Connor effort saw Cork go three clear on 6.  Emma Flanagan pointed for Dublin on 10 when she rose to catch a great ball in from Eimear McCarthy before Siobhan Kehoe cut the deficit to one when she pointed a 50 metre free.

With the game proving a tough outfield battle under the relentless sun and scores proving hard to come by as both defences worked hard to snuff out any attack the game was showing the potential to be nip and tuck. 

However, on the 17th minute a Katrina Mackey shot that appeared to be destined to graze over the cross bar dipped under to deceive Faye McCarthy and register the first of six goals to be scored for the afternoon.  Orla Cronin pointed a 40 metre free before Mackey was at the end of some great passing to fire over and push the All Ireland champions six clear.

With 28 on the clock Dublin pulled themselves back into the contest when an Orla Began long range shot ended up skimming off Aoife Murrays hurley and into the net to see Dublin trail by three.  A Cronin free put four between the sides before McCarthy pointed a great effort under pressure to cut the deficit back to three in added time.

Three minutes into added time Cork turned the screw and took the wind out of the Dublin sails when Linda Collins found the net after a super run and offload by Cronin set her up at the edge of the square to see Cork head to the dressing room 2-06 to 1-03 ahead.

Within a minute of the resumption Cork registered their third goal when Cronin struck off her left from distance and her dropping shot was handled by McCarthy on the line only for the sliotar to pop from her hand and into the net.  Cronin then tapped over a 20 metre free before Ashling Thompson struck from range to push Cork 10 clear on 39.

Dublin worked hard and carved out some openings, however, such was the pace, work rate and support work of Cork they were held to registering just a goal in the second half.  Murray was kept relatively busy however and was called upon in the 44th minute to pull off a fine save from a Began effort.

Five unanswered points from Cork in the space of six minutes saw them surge 18 clear.  Pamela Mackey operating at wing back slotted over, before Lauren Homan picked off a slick point off her stick before firing over a second a minute later.  A Cronin 20 metre free before substitute Julia White goaled after a darting run and pass by O’Connor set her up saw Cork stamp their authority all over the game.

Despite the score line Dublin continued to show resilience and when they were awarded a free 45 metres out that was moved forward for dissent Began stepped up to drill low and past a busy goal line to register Dublins only score of the second half on 57.

Three unanswered points closed out the game when Makey split the posts before a Cronin free and a Chloe Sigerson free from long range saw Cork run out convincing winners on a score line 4-15 to 2-03.


Cork: A. Murray (c), L. O’Sullivan, L. Treacy, N. O’Callaghan, L. Coppinger, P. Mackey, C. Sigerson, G. O’Connor, A. Thompson, L. Collins, O. Cronin, A. O’Connor, H. Looney, L. Homan, K. Mackey.

Subs: J. White for L. Coppinger (HT), N. McCarthy for L. Collins (43), O. Cotter for H. Looney (45), A. Sheehan for L. Treacy (50).

Dublin: F. McCarthy, M. O’Donoghue, A. Carolan, E. O’Byrne, H. Hegarty, L. Twomey (c), M. Twomey, r. Baker, E. McCarthy, A. Griffin, G. Quinn, S. Kehoe, E. Flanagan, D. Mullany, O. Began.

Subs: A. Twomey for A. Griffin (15), M. Moynihan for G. Quinn (HT), L. Butler for E. Flanagan (43), A. Maguire for S. Kehoe (48).


Cork: K. Mackey 1-03, O. Cronin 1-05 (0-04f), L. Collins 1-00, J. White 1-00, L. Homan 0-02, A. O’Connor 0-01, G. O’Connor 0-01, A. Thompson 0-01, P. Mackey 0-01, C. Sigerson 0-01 (0-01f).

 Dublin: O. Began 2-00 (1-00f), E. Flanagan 0-01, S. Kehoe 0-01, E. McCarthy 0-01

 Referee:     Fintan McNamara, Clare


Pics Credit: Trevor Patchett


Pics Credit: Colbert O’Sullivan

Comments are closed.