Welcome toCork Camogie

Newcestown finish with a flurry to capture the Intermediate League crown

Newcestown found another gear to finish with a strong closing quarter which saw them register 1-04 without reply and with it the Cork Camogie Intermediate League title played at Bandon GAA on Sunday last.  Enniskeane were within a point of Newcestown with 20 minutes remaining, however, try as they might they just couldn’t penetrate the resilient Newcestown defence to add to their tally despite a gallant effort.

It took six minutes for a score to be registered and it came from the stick of Orla Cronin operating at full forward for Enniskeane.  Two minutes later an on form Colleen Long, who was to prove a thorn in the side of the Enniskeane defence, slotted over a placed ball from 45 metres.  Long put Newcestown ahead on 10 minutes with a well taken point before adding another with a 20 metre free on 12.  Enniskeane had yet to find their momentum, however, an opportunistic goal from Cronin when her shot from the wing deceived Orla Dineen in the Newcewtown goal put Enniskeane one clear on 18.  Long drew the sides level when she slotted over a 45 metre free before Cronin pointed a great effort to see Enniskeane nudge ahead once again.  A super long range free by Orla Coughlan from just inside the 65 metre line ensured Enniskeane held their precarious one point lead.  However, four minutes from the break a great piece of play from Colette Desmond saw her set up Long who made no mistake in rattling the Enniskeane net to put Newcestown ahead by the slimmest of margins.  A Newcestown brace through Desmond, and Long with a 45 metre free, was cancelled out by an Enniskeane brace through Cronin, and a Coughlan 20 metre free, to see Newcestown hold their one point lead at the half way mark 1-06 to 1-05.

Upon the resumption Coughlan and Long exchanged points before Cronin slotted over after some great control and stick work to draw the sides level 1-07 a piece on 32.  Suzanne Deasy marshalling the Newcestown defence from centre back pointed a superb long range free to once again see Newcestown ahead by the slimmest of margins.  Two from placed balls by Long either side of a Mannix point saw Newcestown hold a two-point lead heading into the closing 15 minutes.  With the game being nip and tuck and both defences showing great resolve under pressure, it was Newcestown however, who were able to find another gear and lean on their experience which came to the fore in closing out the game with a haul of 1-04 unanswered scores coming from O’Mahony, Meabh O’Donovan and two Long 45 metre frees before O’Donovan sealed the deal when her shot from 30 metres looped into the side of the net past Caroline O’Donovan in the Enniskeane goal to close out the game 2-14 to Enniskeanes 1-08.



Enniskeane: C. O’Donovan, K. O’Shea, D. Carroll, C. Nyhan, C. O’Donovan, C. O’Mahony, K. Scannell, S. Curtin, O. Coughlan (capt.), M. O’Regan, R. Scannell, L. Mannix, S. Hurley, O. Cronin, K. Scannell

Subs: A. Everard for K. O’Shea & K. Hennessy for K. Scannell (HT).


Newcestown: O. Dinneen, B. O Leary, F. Deasy (capt.), A. Crowley, M. Lynch, S. Deasy, A. O Donovan, T. McCarthy, M. O Donovan, Z. Griffen, E. Crowley, H. O Mahony, C. Desmond, M. Keneally, C. Long.

Subs: C. O’Leary for H. O’Mahony, (inj, 49)



Enniskeane: O. Cronin 1-04, O. Coughlan 0-03 (0-03f), L. Mannix 0-01

Newcestown: C. Long 1-10 (0-03f, 0-0545), M. O’Donovan 1-01, H. O’Mahony 0-01, C. Desmond 0-01, S. Deasy 0-01 (0-01f)

Referee:            Cathal Egan, Glen Rovers


Comments are closed.