Welcome toCork Camogie

Cork prove much too strong Clare in Junior Semi Final

Cork proved much too strong for Clare in this Munster Camogie Junior Championship semi-final decider played on a fast carpet like surface at sun soaked Castle Road on Sunday May 7th.

Clare opened the scoring with a Keelin Lyons 20 metre free on four minutes, however, it was to take them another 20 minutes before they registered on the scoreboard again with another Lyons placed ball this time from 50 metres.  In the intervening period Cork notched up 11 points showing their dominance across the pitch.  Erin Looney operating at centre forward split the posts followed by two well taken points by the lively Aisling Wallace playing top of the right.  Rachel Harty picked off a close range point on nine minutes before Wallace added to the tally with a fine effort on the run to see Cork five points to one to the good after only nine minutes on the clock.  With the Cork forwards keeping the Clare defence on the back foot, Sinead Mills collected a short clearance to split the posts for Corks sixth point.  Cork, however, for all their possession were guilty of squandering some goal chances which left Clare off the hook mid-way through the opening half.  Two Christine O’Neill frees either side of a close range Looney point from play pushed Cork eight clear.  Michaela Hyde pointed before captain Cliona O’Callaghan confidently slotted over after a strong run to see all six of the Cork forwards on the scoreboard 10 minutes from the short whistle.  Lyons slotted over a 50 metre free to bring Clares tally to three for the half.  Cork registered two more with O’Callaghan pointing before Wallace popped over from close range to see Cork 0-13 to Clare 0-03 at the short whistle.

On the resumption it was Clare who opened the scoring when Sinead Power slotted over to put four on the board for the Banner.  Four unanswered points from Cork through Wallace who accounted for two, substitute Orla Coughlan, and Harty pushed Cork well clear with 20 minutes left.  Clare pulled one back through a Loughnane 40 metre free on 38 minutes to leave the score Cork 0-17 to Clares 0-05.  Two further unanswered points through Coughlan and Wallace pushed Corks tally to 19 before Clare were awarded a penalty with 13 minutes remaining.  Loughnane stepped up and drilled her shot low only for it to be deflected off Mary Hurley’s stick in the Cork goal and ricochet over the bar.  Twohill added two for Cork either side of a Wallace point that increased her haul to eight on 59 minutes as Cork closed out the game with 14 players having used all their subs when Harty had to leave the field due to injury. 



Cork: M. Hurley, Clonakilty, C. O’Keeffe, St. Vincents, D. Carroll, Enniskeane, E. Flanagan, Aghabullogue, N. Crean, St. Vincents, G. O’Leary, Sliabh Rua, C. Daly, Killeagh, C. O’Neill, Courcey Rovers, L. Cunningham, Glen Rovers, M. Hyde, Glen Rovers, E. Looney, Inniscarra, C. O’Callaghan (capt.), Newtownshandrum, S. Mills, Brian Dillons, R. Harty, Ballyhea, Aisling Wallace, Glen Rovers.

Subs: O. Coughlan, Enniskeane for C. O’Neill, and A. Twohill, Newtownshandrum for M. Hyde (HT), N. Doherty, Aghabullogue for L. Cunningham (41, inj), D. Cagney, Newtownshandrum for C. O’Callaghan (45, inj), A. O’Sullivan, Castlelyons for S. Mills (46)


Clare: E. McNamara, A. Nihill, M. O’Brien, D. Considine, A. McMahon (capt), R. Kaiser, E. Whyte, S. Redmond, L. Egan, S. Power, S. Loughnane, K. Lyons, S. Lane, L. Danaher, L. McDonnell.

Subs: S. Loughnane for A. Nihill (12, inj), C. McMahon for L. Dahaner (HT), L. Danaher for S. Lane (47).



Cork: A. Wallace 0-08, O. Coughlan 0-03 (0-0145), N. O’Leary, C. O’Callaghan, R. Harty 0-02 each, C. O’Neill 0-02 (0-02f), S. Mills, M. Hyde & A. Twohill 0-01 each.

Clare: K. Lyons 0-03 (0-03f), S. Loughnane 0-02, S. Power & E. Duggan 0-01 each


Referee:            Philip Dee, Limerick

Comments are closed.