Welcome toCork Camogie

Milford second half performance sees them through to semi final

Milford once again showed the experience and familiarity of winning over the last number of years when they notched up 1-09 without reply in the second half to overcome a fledgling Sarsfelds side in their SE Systems Cork Camogie Senior Championship fixture played at Castle Road on Saturday October 14th.

It was Sarsfields who held the lead at the change of ends after running up 11 points in the opening 30 minutes.  By the 24th minute they had opened up a five point lead courtesy of the on form and unerring Emer Farrell after she converted for a foul on the lively Claire Mullins operating top of the left.

With two minutes on the clock Farrell pointed a 40 metre free to open proceedings after a foul on Mullins before Maeve McCarthy split the posts to put Sars two clear on 4.  It was the fifth minute before Milford responded through the industrious Maria Watson when she fired over and a minute later the sides were level when Laura Stack pointed.

Emer Watson on free taking duty for Milford slotted over her first of five for the day to push the North Cork side one clear on 10.  However, Mullins responded with a great point on the run to level the scoring before a Farrell tight angled 20 metre free saw Sarsfields take the lead once again.  Farrell opened up a two point gap for the East Cork side when she pointed a free from just outside the 45 metre line on 14, but Milford pulled it back with a Watson 40 metre free to see Milford trail 0-04, Sarsfields 0-05 on 16.  Michelle Barry struck a great point on 17 and two minutes later Sars opened up a three point lead when Farrell slotted over a placed ball from distance. 

10 minutes from the short whistle Katie Galvin raised a white flag when her shot appeared to have dipped into the net, however, after consultation with his umpires Cathal Egan indicated a point and Milford had pulled it back to a two point game. 

Farrell added two points in two minutes one from play and one through a free from 50 metres to see Sars open up a four point lead six minutes shy of half time.  With Sarsfields displaying a good handle on the game Milford had other ideas and when Molly Lynch in the Sarsfields goal failed to clear her lines Maria Watson pounced to slot past her to make it a one point game on 24.  Four minutes later Farrell pointed a 40 metre free to put Sars two clear before Watson carved out some space to point a fine effort on 30 to cut the lead to the slimmest.  However, it was Barry who the final say of the half when she fired over from range to give Sarsfields a two point cushion at the half way stage.  Milford 1-06, Sarsfields 0-11.

Upon the resumption Milford pointed through Ashling Thompson when she intercepted a Sarsfields pass to point before Maria Watson drew the sides level for the third time when she fired over from close range.  Farrell, unerring on frees in the opening 30 uncharacteristically hit a 40 metre free wide and a chance to go one clear on 35 but two minutes later Milford hit the front through an Emer Watson 45 metre free and from there on out they maintained the lead. 

Sarsfields, who displayed tenacious effort in the first half appeared to have lost their way and failed to muster any response to Milfords resurgence in the second half.  With the Watsons on form up front and Thompson playing a commanding role at mid field the momentum swung in Milfords favour.  Two Emer Watson frees either side of a Maria Watson point from play saw Milford open up a four point lead 12 minutes from time.  However, on 50 and only eight minutes on the pitch Dympna O’Brien was at the end of a string of passes that started deep in defence to fire home a shot that gave Lynch little chance in the Sars goal.  Two minutes later O’Brien was on hand again to slot over from range before Thompson struck a brace to close out the game on a scoreline of Milford 2-15, Sarsfields 0-11.



Milford: R.Duggan, A. Galvin, E. O’Riordan, D. Hayes, L. Hanley, Á. Watson, S. Sexton, O. O’Mahony (capt.), A. Thompson, L. Stack, R. Finn, E. Watson, M. Watson, K. Galvin, E. O’Gorman

Subs: D. O’Brien for E. O’Gorman (42), S. Sheehan for S. Sexton (55), A. Dillon for E. Watson (59), K. Reidy for R. Finn (60).


Sarsfields: M. Lynch, E. Lonergan, K. Barry, J. Murphy, E. Casey, M. Mullins, N. O’Callaghan, E. Farrell, L. Kelly, H. Herlihy, M. McCarthy, C. Holland, C. Mullins, L. Allen, M. Barry.

Subs: C. Aherne for C. Hollan (HT), N. Hickey for E. Lonergan (38), E. Twomey for H. Herlihy (48).



Milford: M. Watson 1-04, D. O’Brien 1-01, E. Watson 0-05 (0-03f, 0-0245), A. Thompson 0-03, L. Stack

0-01, K. Galvin 0-01

Sarsfields: E. Farrell 0-07 (0-06f), M. Barry 0-02, M. McCarthy 0-01, C. Mullins 0-01


Referee:            Cathal Egan, Glen Rovers

Comments are closed.