Welcome toCork Camogie

Cork book second bite at All Ireland title after overcoming Derry

It was a tough opening 30 minutes in the Liberty Insurance All Ireland Camogie Intermediate Semi Final in a wet and windy Ashbourne on Sunday last, and with both teams vying to stamp their authority on the game scores proved hard to come by.  Derry received a hammer blow when Cork goaled on the cusp of half time and, as a result, Cork harnessed the momentum to push on and control the second half to carve out their victory.

The score stood at a point a piece on 10 with both coming from placed balls – Karen Kielt for Derry on 2 and seven minutes later a Keeva McCarthy 50 metre free for Cork.  Kielt put Derry one ahead on 10 when she pointed a 50 metre free before Maeve McCarthy levelled on 16 with a fine effort on the run.  McCarthy and Kielt exchanged frees to level the sides for the second time before Collins goaled in added time after Katelyn Hickey made a surging run to draw the defence and left Collins to fire low past Niamh McQuillan in the Derry goal.  The goal came after Cork weathered the storm of a strong Derry attack five minutes previous when Niamh Ní Chaoímh blocked on the line after Amy Lee left her goal to challenge Mary Hegarty who had been picked out with a great pass along the 20 metre line from Eilis Ní Chaiside.  Cork headed to the break a goal clear on 1-03 to 0-03.

Cork got the second half underway with a fine long range Keeva McCarthy free to push Cork four clear.  Two minutes later an An Áine Kelly pass to Kielt put her through the middle, however, she was fouled and uncharacteristically put the resultant 40 metre free left of the target.  On 36 Kielt brought Derry back to within three when she pointed a 40 metre placed ball.  With the Cork defence court marshalling the Derry attack, Collins, Sugrue and Maeve McCarthy added three fine efforts up front to push Cork 1-07 to 0-04 clear heading into the final quarter. 

Derry registered their first and only point from play on 46 through Aileen McCusker when Kielt spotted her free on the opposite wing and picked her out with a placed ball for McCusker to slot over.  Cork stretched the lead to eight when Collins found the net for the second time after she pulled on the ground on a Sugrue handpass that fell into her path.  Keeva McCarthy pushed Cork even further ahead on 50 when she pointed a free from 45 metre to see Cork 2-08 to 0-05 ahead.  In the closing 10 Derry were awarded a free 35 metres from the target and Kielt lined up to blaze her shot at goal, however, it blistered wide of the target and with it any chance of closing Corks lead.  A brace from Cork through Keeva McCarthy and Finola Neville closed out Corks scoring for the afternoon before Kielt slotted over a 20 metre free for Derry to end proceedings on a scoreline of Cork 2-10, Derry 0-06. 

Cork now face Meath in the All Ireland final on September 10th after they overcame Kildare in the second Semi Final.



Cork: A. Lee, Na Piarsaigh, L. Weste, Ballincollig, S. Harrington, Fr. O’Neills, N. Ní Chaoimh, (capt.), Killeagh, R. Kileen, Ballyhea, S. Buckley, Ballincollig, L. Callanan, Glen Rovers, F. Neville, St. Catherines, J. Barry, Bride Rovers, K. Hickey, Blackrock, K. McCarthy, St. Finbarrs, M. McCarthy, Sarsfields, R. O’Shea, Carrigaline, L. Collins, Courcey Rovers, C. Sugrue, Ballinascarthy.

Subs: M. Buckley, Ballygarvan for R. O’Shea (44), H. Ryan, Blackrock for K. Hickey (57), J. Crowley, Courcey Rovers for N. Ní Chaoímh (59), N. O’Callaghan, Sarsfields for M. McCarthy (59), M. Lynch, Newcestown for L. Callanan (59).


Derry: N. McQuillan, J. McGuickin, B. Cassidy, R. Bradley, A. McCusker, A. Ní Chaiside, G. McNicholl, Á. McAllister, K. Kielt, A. Quinn, E. Ní Chaiside, Á. Kelly, D. O’Kane, M. Hegarty, M. McNicholl.

Subs: E. McGuigan for A. Quinn (HT), T. Mellon for D. O’Kane (HT), S. Quinn for M. McNicholl (42), A. Devlin for M. Hegarty (45), S. Donaghy for Á. Kelly (52).



Cork: L. Collins 2-01, K. McCarthy 0-05 (0-04f), M. McCarthy 0-02, C. Sugrue, F. Neville 0-01 each.

Derry: K. Kielt 0-05, (0-05f), A. McCusker 0-01


Referee:            John Dermody, Westmeath


Comments are closed.